Also described as the dancing eye syndrome, Nystagmus is the involuntary or uncontrollable movements of the eyeballs, i.e. they easily rotate, move side to side or move up and down
Eye focusing is normally difficult with Nystagmus since you can try to gaze at a particular object only for your eyes to switch to another direction.
A person with Nystagmus normally tilts his or her head in many directions or positions, usually termed as the null point to stabilize the eyes
Eye experts indicate that at least 1 child out of hundreds will suffer from Nystagmus and it normally develops at an infant age
TYPES OF NYSTAGMUS
5 types of Nystagmus have been identified by the eye experts and they include;
Also known as infantile nystagmus syndrome (INS) this type of nystagmus is present at birth. This is where both your eyes move together as they oscillate (swing). Strabismus can also fall under this type of nystagmus, but with this, they don’t cooperate
This time is known to be present at all times
It occurs when one eye is closed
This is assumed to be present all the time, but worsens when one eye is closed
This type of Nystagmus is believed to be triggered by any underlying health condition such as; Brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, diabetic neuropathy, neurological problems, accidents that lead to head injury, vibrations, flashing lights and hyperventilation.
SYMPTOMS OF NYSTAGMUS
- Light sensitivity
- Tilting of the head
- Involuntary eye movement
- Difficulty in focusing
COMPLICATIONS OF NYSTAGMUS
- Nystagmus may may improve as one grows, but it can also be worsened by certain conditions like stress
- Most people with nystagmus are affected by vision limitations
- It can affect one’s self confidence, public relations, productivity at school or at work
- One may be termed as legally blind due to poor vision acuity
TREATMENT OF NYSTAGMUS VISION THERAPY
- A multi-sensory approach is used during Nystagmus Treatment in India and it has resulted in improved vision. The eye exercises will help strengthen the eye muscles
- Treating Nystagmus with Vision Therapy requires an Optometrist to identify the type and its extent
- Early detection and treatment will help a child develop sustained eye contact as well as better focus.
- Counselling and Botox treatment can also help when it comes to treating Nystagmus.
- Nonsurgical options are considered ideal and safer
- Regular eye examinations are recommended for those with nystagmus
NYSTAGMUS TREATMENT COST
Treatment cost differs with the type of treatment selected. With vision therapy, Nystagmus Treatment Cost In India at the leading eye care centre is affordable and cost effective
Meet the eye experts in Vision Therapy to restore your sight and enjoy a better life